The Abruzzo and Molise Heritage Society of the Washington, DC Area (AMHS) awards two $4,000 scholarships each year. The next scholarship period is for the academic year 2022-2023, which will open on December 1, 2021.
Please check back in December for additional details on the timeline and how to apply for the scholarships.
- Be a member of the AMHS or have a parent, grandparent, or guardian with an active AMHS membership. Non-members who are thinking of applying may join through our website. The membership rate for students (high school and college) is $20.00 per year.
- Be enrolled in an accredited college or university or be enrolled in the final year (senior year) of an accredited high school.
- Be enrolled in, or accepted for admission and planning to attend, an accredited college or university located within a fifty-mile radius of Washington, DC, or have a permanent residence within a fifty-mile radius of Washington, DC.
- Have a grade point average of at least 3.5 out of 4.0 (or the equivalent). Students whose grading system is pass/fail are welcome to apply.
- Be pursuing a major or minor in Italian or Italian Studies, if enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- Have taken, or be taking, at least one course in Italian or Italian studies, if enrolled as a fourth-year student (senior) in an accredited high school.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien.
- Not have won the AMHS scholarship in any prior year.
The AMHS Scholarship Committee is composed of Ray LaVerghetta (Chairman), Andrea Balzano, Peter Bell, Lucio D’Andrea, Romeo Sabatini, and Lourdes Tinajero.