The Abruzzo and Molise Heritage Society of the Washington, DC Area (AMHS) awards two, $4,000 scholarships each year. The next scholarship period is for the academic year 2021-2022. Awards not used during the Fall 2021 or Spring 2022 semesters are not transferable to the following academic year.
See below for information on the scholarship application & notification periods, the eligibility criteria, and how to apply.
Scholarship Application Requirements
- The AMHS Scholarship application period for the 2021-2022 academic year opened on December 1, 2020.
- Applicants must submit an online application before 11:59 PM of March 1, 2021.
- Applicants must also submit all required documents online before 11:59 PM of March 1, 2021.
- Applicants will be informed of their status in early May 2021.
- Required documents include all relevant transcripts, a resumé, and one (1) letter of recommendation.
- Resumé must be recent and include academic achievement, awards received, extracurricular involvement, and work experience.
- Be a member of the AMHS or have a parent, grandparent, or guardian with an active AMHS membership. Non-members who are thinking of applying may join through our website. The membership rate for students (high school and college) is $20.00 per year.
- Be enrolled in an accredited college or university or be enrolled in the final year (senior year) of an accredited high school.
- Be enrolled in, or accepted for admission and planning to attend, an accredited college or university located within a fifty-mile radius of Washington, DC, or have a permanent residence within a fifty-mile radius of Washington, DC.
- Have a grade point average of at least 3.5 out of 4.0 (or the equivalent). Students whose grading system is pass/fail are welcome to apply.
- Be pursuing a major or minor in Italian or Italian Studies, if enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- Have taken, or be taking, at least one course in Italian or Italian studies, if enrolled as a fourth-year student (senior) in an accredited high school.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien.
- Not have won the AMHS scholarship in any prior year.
Please email your application, letter(s) of recommendation, pertinent academic transcripts, and resumé to email@example.com.
The AMHS Scholarship Committee is composed of Ray LaVerghetta (Chairman), Andrea Balzano, Peter Bell, Lucio D’Andrea, Romeo Sabatini, and Lourdes Tinajero.