The Abruzzo and Molise Heritage Society of the Washington, DC Area (AMHS) awards two, $4,000 scholarships each year. The next scholarship period is for the academic year 2021-2022. Awards not used during the Fall 2021 or Spring 2022 semesters are not transferable to the following academic year.
See below for information on the scholarship application & notification periods, the eligibility criteria, and how to apply.
Scholarship Application Requirements
- The AMHS Scholarship application period for the 2021-2022 academic year opens on December 1, 2020.
- Applicants must submit an online application before 11:59 PM of March 1, 2021.
- Applicants must also submit all required documents online before 11:59 PM of March 1, 2021.
- Applicants will be informed of their status in early May 2021.
- Required documents include all relevant transcripts, a resumé, and one (1) letter of recommendation.
- Resumé must be recent and include academic achievement, awards received, extracurricular involvement, and work experience.
- Be a member of the AMHS or have a parent, grandparent, or guardian with an active AMHS membership. Non-members who are thinking of applying may join through our website. The membership rate for students (high school and college) is $20.00 per year.
- Be enrolled in an accredited college or university or be enrolled in the final year (senior year) of an accredited high school.
- Be enrolled in, or accepted for admission and planning to attend, an accredited college or university located within a fifty-mile radius of Washington, DC, or have a permanent residence within a fifty-mile radius of Washington, DC.
- Have a grade point average of at least 3.5 out of 4.0 (or the equivalent). Students whose grading system is pass/fail are welcome to apply.
- Be pursuing a major or minor in Italian or Italian Studies, if enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- Have taken, or be taking, at least one course in Italian or Italian studies, if enrolled as a fourth-year student (senior) in an accredited high school.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien.
- Not have won the AMHS scholarship in any prior year.
The AMHS Scholarship Committee is composed of Ray LaVerghetta (Chairman), Peter Bell, Lucio D’Andrea, Romeo Sabatini, and Lourdes Tinajero.
Please email your application, letter(s) of recommendation, pertinent academic transcripts, and resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.