GUGLIONESI
GUGLIONESI
PROVINCE OF CAMPOBASSO, REGION OF MOLISE
A panoramic view of Guglionesi.
The beautiful town of Guglionesi is located about 50 kilometers from Campobasso. It has approximately 2,017 inhabitants known as Guglionesi. The town lies amid fields, olive trees and vineyards, on a hill overlooking the Biferno river. Founded in the 5th century B.C., at the time it was known as Uscosium or Usconium and together with Pescara, Ortona, Lanciano, Vasto and Larino, it was one of the most important centers of the Frentani, an Italic people who were part of the Samnite confederations. Thanks to its strategic position along the Via Frentana-Traiana, Usconium became, towards the end of the Roman Republican Era, a municipality eventually reaching a population of about 25,000. Usconium was located between Monte Antico and Monte Capraro, where Guglionesi is now found.
Its inhabitants depended on the Collenisyus (“Hill of Bacchus”), a hill fort in which they sheltered after the town’s destruction by the Goths. In 412 A.D., Colleniso (Collenisyus) became New Usconium and was encircled by protective walls in the Longobardo period. Afterwards, the most important fortification was raised in the 9th century, when Robert Guiscard took over the city.
The Church of Santa Maria Maggiore
During that period, 18 watchtowers and two castles were erected. The ruins of the first castle (named “of head” because it was in a higher position than the others, subsequently called “of foot”) can still be seen today. After the destruction of the second castle, the Convent of the Cappuccini was constructed upon what was left of the castle foundations. In 801 A.D., Colleniso came under the domination of the Duke of Spoleto, and endured various incursions by Saracen raiders. In 1137 A.D., it endured a pillage by Lothar, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. In 1315, King Robert of Anjou gave Collenisio to his brother Peter, Count of Gravina, and at his death, his daughter Agnese inherited the city.
During this time the city was repeatedly invaded; its name was also changed from Colleniso to Guillonisi. In 1496, after the death of René of Anjou, his cousin Charles VIII of France came to Italy with a large army and conquered Naples. During this tragic period, the French entered Guillonisi and plundered the entire village, demolishing the two castles and the towers and killing or raping most of the population. Then in the 16th century, still another invasion occurred by the Turks, who set fire to the church of Saint Maria Maggiore, and consequently the relics of St. Adam, housed in the church, were destroyed and lost. Nowadays the town offers scenic views and many outdoor possibilities, and the yoga vagabonda (Yoga Vagabond) classes have also become popular either while social distancing outdoors or while spending more time indoors. ❚
What to See •
Church of San Nicola di Bari a Guglionesi, founded in the 12th century and a fine Romanesque church in the Apulian style.
• Church of Santa Maria Maggiore which rises on an ancient crypt and contains the relics of the Blessed Adam, founder of the church.
• The Palazzo Ducale with a beautiful ancient portal.
Important Dates •
June 3 — Feast of Sant’Adamo Abate, the patron saint
http://www.italyheritage.com/regions/molise/province-campobasso/guglionesi.htm