THE AMHS SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The Abruzzo and Molise Heritage Society Grant and Scholarship Fund, Inc., doing business as the Abruzzo and Molise Heritage Society (AMHS), is pleased to announce the availability of two $4,000.00 scholarships for the 2018-2019 academic year. The scholarships will be awarded to individual students as payment of tuition on behalf of the recipients. AMHS has partnered with the National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) for the administration of the AMHS Scholarship Program. This partnering includes NIAF matching our $4,000.00 contribution thus resulting in the availability of two $4,000.00 scholarships.
The scholarship application process for the 2018-2019 academic year is closed. The application process for the 2019-2020 academic year will open on or around December 1, 2018.
Please read below for scholarship details, including how to start the scholarship application process.
Eligibility Requirements and Instructions on How to Apply
To be considered for a Scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be enrolled in an accredited, four-year college or university, or have been accepted for admission to such an institution for the above-stated academic year, in pursuit of an undergraduate degree program of study.
- Exhibit an interest in Italian language, history, or culture by either majoring or minoring in such programs of study.
- Be attending or have been accepted for admission to a college or university within a 50 mile radius of Washington, DC, or be a resident within this 50 mile radius and attending or have been accepted for admission to a college or university outside this 50 mile radius.
- Not have already won a NIAF/AMHS scholarship.
- Use the scholarship fund to pursue a graduate degree in Italian or Italian studies at an accredited university, if applying as a college senior.
- Be willing to participate as an invited guest at one of the AMHS general Society meetings or social events.
- Complete an application by going to NIAF’s Scholarship webpage. For step-by-step instructions on how to complete your application, CLICK HERE. Visit NIAF’s Scholarship Application Portal to begin your application. You will need to create an account if you currently do not have one.
- To see the specific NIAF/AMHS scholarship criteria, visit NIAF’s webpage on available scholarships, scroll down to NIAF Abruzzo Molise Heritage Society Scholarship.
(Nota bene: AMHS does not require the applicant to have an affiliation with the Society. Our funding partner, NIAF, however, does require that the applicant or the applicant’s parent(s) or legal guardian be one of its members.)
Applications for the 2019-2020 academic year will be accepted starting on or around December 1, 2018 and ending on or around March 1, 2019.
A list of applicants who meet the above qualifications is presented to AMHS by NIAF every year, around springtime. The AMHS Scholarship Committee then makes its selection of the two scholarship winners from among those qualified applicants. The two winning applicants will be notified of their selection in May 2019.
It is expected that the recipients of the AMHS Scholarship will be the guests of the Society at one of its general Society meetings or social events. An invitation to attend such a meeting or event will be sent from the Society’s President. Furthermore, the scholarship recipients will be honorary members of AMHS for one calendar year.
Chairman, AMHS Scholarship Committee
(Members of the AMHS Scholarship Committee are: Peter Bell, Lucio D’Andrea, Richard DiBuono, Raymond LaVerghetta, Romeo Sabatini, and Lourdes Tinajero)