THE NIAF/AMHS SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
The scholarship application period for the 2019-2020 academic year closed on March 1, 2019. The application will reopen for the 2020-2021 academic year on Sunday, December 1, 2019.
When the application reopens, please read below for scholarship details, including how to start the scholarship application process. Important dates to note: 1) Application deadline, including supporting documentation and letters of recommendation: due to NIAF by March 1, 2020, 11:59 p.m. EST; and 2) Decision notification: May 4, 2020 by 5:00 p.m. EST.
Eligibility Requirements and Instructions on How to Apply
To be considered for a Scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be enrolled in an accredited, four-year college or university, or have been accepted for admission to such an institution for the above-stated academic year, in pursuit of an undergraduate degree program of study.
- Exhibit an interest in Italian language, history, or culture by either majoring or minoring in such programs of study.
- Be attending or have been accepted for admission to a college or university within a 50 mile radius of Washington, DC, or be a resident within this 50 mile radius and attending or have been accepted for admission to a college or university outside this 50 mile radius.
- Not have already won a NIAF/AMHS scholarship.
- Use the scholarship fund to pursue a graduate degree in Italian or Italian studies at an accredited university, if applying as a college senior.
- Be willing to participate as an invited guest at one of the AMHS general Society meetings or social events.
- Complete an application by going to NIAF’s Scholarship webpage. For step-by-step instructions on how to complete your application, CLICK HERE. To begin your application, visit NIAF’s Scholarship Application Portal. You will need to create an account if you currently do not have one. Application deadline, including supporting documentation and letters of recommendation: March 1, 2019 by 11:59 p.m. EST.
- To see the specific NIAF/AMHS scholarship criteria, visit NIAF’s webpage on available scholarships, scroll down to NIAF Abruzzo Molise Heritage Society Scholarship.
(Nota bene: AMHS does not require the applicant to have an affiliation with the Society. Our funding partner, NIAF, however, does require that the applicant or the applicant’s parent(s) or legal guardian be one of its members.)
A list of applicants who meet the above qualifications is presented to AMHS by NIAF every year, around springtime. The AMHS Scholarship Committee then makes its selection of the two scholarship winners from among those qualified applicants. The two winning applicants will be notified of their selection in May 2020.
It is expected that the recipients of the AMHS Scholarship will be the guests of the Society at one of its general Society meetings or social events. An invitation to attend such a meeting or event will be sent from the Society’s President. Furthermore, the scholarship recipients will be honorary members of AMHS for one calendar year.
Chairman, AMHS Scholarship Committee
(Members of the AMHS Scholarship Committee are: Peter Bell, Lucio D’Andrea, Raymond LaVerghetta, Romeo Sabatini, and Lourdes Tinajero)