The AMHS scholarships recognize and reward individuals who are interested in Italian Culture by providing them financial assistance to pursue their academic studies. AMHS partners with National Italian American Foundation (NIAF) for the administration of the AMHS Scholarship Program. This partnering includes NIAF matching our $4,000.00 contribution thus resulting in the availability of two $4,000.00 scholarships. NIAF presents a selection of applicants who meet the above qualifications to AMHS each year. The AMHS Scholarship Committee then makes its selection of the scholarship winners from among those qualified applicants.
The AMHS was formed in 2000 to promote the cultural heritage of Italy and the regions of Abruzzo and Molise in particular, in all disciplines relating to its language, history, and culture. The Society has nearly 300 members and is one of the most active Italian American organizations in the Washington, DC area. The purpose of the scholarships is to recognize and reward individuals who are interested in Italian culture by providing them financial assistance to pursue their academic studies.
To be considered for a Scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be enrolled in an accredited, four-year college or university, or have been accepted for admission to such an institution for the relevant academic year, in pursuit of an undergraduate degree program of study.
- Exhibit an interest in Italian language, history, or culture by either majoring or minoring in such programs of study.
- Be attending or have been accepted for admission to a college or university within a 50 mile radius of Washington, DC, or be a resident within this 50 mile radius and attending or have been accepted for admission to a college or university outside this 50 mile radius.
- Not have already won a NIAF/AMHS scholarship.
- Use the scholarship fund to pursue a graduate degree in Italian or Italian studies at an accredited university, if applying as a college senior.
- Be willing to participate as an invited guest at one of the AMHS general Society meetings or social events.
- Complete an application by going to NIAF’s Scholarship webpage (for more detailed instructions, see the AMHS webpage “How to Apply”).
- To see the specific NIAF/AMHS scholarship criteria, visit NIAF’s webpage on available scholarships, scroll down to NIAF Abruzzo Molise Heritage Society Scholarships.
Members of the AMHS Scholarship Committee are: Ray LaVerghetta (Chairman), Peter Bell, Lucio D’Andrea, Romeo Sabatini, and Lourdes Tinajero.